Re: Problem film flats

Dave Corbitt wrote:

>                       Subject:                              Time:  11:37 AM
>   OFFICE MEMO         Problem film flats                    Date:  9/4/96
>
> Here's another puzzler for the group.  Client supplies 35 ocn flats for
> dailies transfers for eventual AVID off-line.  Each flat is a continuous
> unspliced camera roll.  Midway through the flat between takes the framing hops
> a perf or two.  We find out this is caused by the cameraman pulling the lens
> off and checking the film path and somehow slipping the film to check
> registration.  We now have a reel of film to transfer with a perf / framing
> change.  Normally the dailies transfer guy would stop the film, slip it in the
> gate to reframe, and do a TLC pick up edit.  The negative cutter calls three
> months later and says we have a big problem, the video dailies don't line up
> with actual film due to the out of frame portions of the film even though the
> colorist took great care to keep the video portion continuous.  Has anyone
> else run in to this and what do you do other than flag the problem to the
> client?  Is the reel untransferable?  Why shouldn't a pick up edit work?
> Thanks
> Dave Corbitt

Yes, it should work. This negative cutter is being  over cautious (less
politely, s/he is being insufferable to call this a big problem). I've
transferred at least five features where this problem has come up and
the films were matched back perfectly. In any case this method of
negative cutters controlling the negative database is essentially
inaccurate and anachronistic. We need an intensive education effort to
convince these cutters to enter the nineties.

Martin Zeichner