Re: Problem film flats

>It's only a problem if the negative cutter is recalculating the key number
using video >time code from the beginning of the original camera roll. Why a
negative cutter
>would ever want to do this, I haven't a clue, but it seems to be common
>practice on the East Coast. Go figure.

I agree, this has frustrated me for years. Basically, they just want to
charge you for their "proprietary" software that runs a +/- 1 frame matchback
routine. I've always encountered incredible resistance when I try to give
them a perfect 24fps keynumber list, and they'll spend hours trying to tell
you why they can be more accurate, with pulldown, than a no-pulldown list. I
say send the negative to Hollywood to be cut.

Basil Pappas
CBS Television