Pearl Whites

I'm forwarding and answering the following message (and asking a
question of my own):

--- Forwarded mail from Adrian Costoya <acostoya at starnet.net.ar>

Subject: Pearl Whites and CaseScope

Hi all,

A director brought to my attention such an effect that is called "Pearl
Whites" and probably is performed with an equipment called CaseScope.

Is it related to telecine or post-production?.

May I purchase it or is it propietary?.

Adrian Costoya <acostoya at starnet.net.ar>
Engineering Manager
Metrovision Producciones S.A.
Buenos Aires - Argentina

--- End of forwarded message from Adrian Costoya <acostoya at starnet.net.ar>

Adrian, it is 'Kaleidoscope' made by Grass Valley Group, which is also
called, for short, 'Kscope'.  I'm not sure if it's available new from
GVG any more, but it is sometimes offered in telecine as a way to
achieve certain 'looks'.  A subtle or not-so-subtle defocussing of
just the white or black areas of the picture can be a nice effect.

It's a very versatile and complex device, and seems to have a life
several years beyond the usual product in our field...

I'd like to poll the group as to how many colorists use the Kscope
regularly, and in what types of jobs?  Are you using the Kscope's
output direct, or mixing it back with the TK?

Also, if one were to purchase a Kscope today, what would one spend,
per channel?

--Rob