Accuracy of Flex on TLC

Hi all,

Timothy R. Bond wrote:

>Methods for data collection in the telecine suite continue to rely
>heavily upon quality operators working without the benefit of clever
>error checking schemes built into the interface.

I'm "out of the loop" as far as the new auto-logging feature goes, but can
comment on Tim's observation, which is valid.  About three years ago Time
Logic, Evertz, and Kodak realized that a more automatic means of detecting
logging errors--or better yet automatic calibration of the timing offsets
now set by hand--was needed to avoid costly and all too easy pitfalls in the
logging process.  The keycode calibration test film was one result of this
work, but hasn't reached its full potential.  That film was intended to
produce in the telecine video signal the necessary information to permit
automatic calibration of all downstream logging systems.  The idea was to
build a option card that scanned for the various patches in the video, and
from the timing of these, deduce the perf, keykode, 3:2 pulldown sequence,
and overall video path delay.  The TLC and/or Evertz could then set itself
up automatically.

I surveyed a subset of TLC owners, mostly the major houses that I felt had
the need for such an option card.  Only a handful expressed any real
interest in it; most did not see the need, and none said they'd pay over
$500.00 for it.  At that price, we needed at least 40 orders to cover the
R&D and production run costs, but those orders were nowhere in sight.  I
asked if Kodak would consider subsidizing its development, as "cheap
insurance towards the market acceptance of Keykode" (what's another $20K on
top of millions in their R&D) but they were unwilling.  In short, it was
financially unrealistic at the time to produce it.  With the wider
acceptance of Keykode now, and no doubt a few costly blown jobs due to
errors, perhaps someone should take another look at the potential
marketplace; maybe the opportunity is now ripe.

By definition, the most skilled and competent Colorists push the limits of
available technology, and are thus often frustrated by it.  But in this
case, the idea and technology was there but not the market recognition of
the need.

Regards,
Jim

Real-time and high-performance hardware and software design since 1981
Jim Lindelien, (jiml at timelogic.com)
Time Logic, Inc., 567 Knotty Pine Dr., Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone 702-833-0200 Fax 702-833-1222  Web Site http://www.timelogic.com