Re: avid media recorder

Timothy R. Bond wrote:

> >Just wondering who's using the Avid Media Recorder, for what
> >applications and how it's behaving.  Haven't seen any recent
> >postings on this. -bts of digitizing time.
>
> My last conversation with a source at Avid indicated that meaningful
> support for marketing the MRT had been shelved, because they felt their
> other products deserved more attention.  I think this is just a
> manifestation of the original problem - not being sure how to market it.
>
> It's unfortunate, that in the midst of all of the developing technologies
> and techniques in post production that the tape dailies process continues
> to lack a high end product in general use (such as the MRT) which is well
> understood by the producers (us) and the recievers (editor's), that makes
> use of common data exchange practices used in every other post-production
> process influenced by computers.

Avid is fairly close (at least in Avid time, which runs approximately 1 year behind real
time) to releasing the Avid Media Station, which is a "cleaned up" version of the Media
Recorder that has VTR emulation rather than GPI-like control. Of course, in true Avid
fashion, it only supports version 6.0.1 and later of the Avid software.

Our experience with the Media Recorder was OK but certainly not great. It crashes quite a
bit and requires constant monitoring in order to confirm that shots were actually
recorded. We still use it for some feature dailies (the ones that are using version 5.x
software) and for sound digitizing, for which it's fine, since the sound file format did
not change with version 6.

Mike Most