re: The BTS Quodra Telecine

At 08:01 PM 8/8/96 -0400, you wrote:
>On Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:40:28 -0700, Mike Goslin wrote:
>
>>The Quadra does not have (or need) any enhancements for image stability.  It
>>is stable out of the box.  We have both URSA Gold with Jump Free and Quadra
>>here.  They are both close in stability, however the general opinion is that
>>the Quadra is slightly more stable, especially in 16mm.
>>

>And honestly, how do you find the picture comparison??
>
>Ken Robinson

Honestly??? different.  I'm an engineer, not a colorist, so I have a
diferent perspective.  There are things I like and dislike about both
systems.  The URSA is softer, even with a new tube.  The resolution of an
URSA is a function of the tube age, but on the Quadra, it is always there.
Although tube noise is nearly eliminated on the URSA, it is still there and
I hate it. The Quadra has fixed patern noise (FPN), and I find it less
objectionable.  When the Quadra is properly aligned, FPN is nearly
undetectable.  People tend to like the over all look of the URSA better, but
I disagree... just personal taste.   The URSA is slightly higher
maintenance.  Bottom line... both get the job done.  I tend to favor Quadra
for 16mm.  With well shot fine grain stock, the Quadra makes an amaizing
picture with 16mm.  On 35mm it is a matter of personal taste.