blanking differences/sizing

I'm having some sizing questions about S16, that is actually an issue
with all formats. Working in 625/PAL the nominal hor. blanking is
11.95usec. The 4x3 and by extension 16x9 aspect ratios (as far as I can
tell) are calculated using this blanking. 625 blanking for CCIR601/RP125
is 10.6usec. In order to frame the picture with correct aspect and a
maximum amount of scanned film area (using BKSTS/channel 4 film) one
would reference to the 11.95 blanking. This obviously gives frame edges
in the picture when viewed with CCIR601/RP125 blanking. If you simply
zoom in do you also re-center, as the added picture area is not equal on
the front and back porches? Do you keep the same center and zoom in
until it clears the back porch. Are there repeatable standards, or just
"we do it this way" or "this client wants it that way? Any and all
recomendations would be appreciated.
	One other issue: This test film shows a 4x3 aspect with the
same upper and lower limit as the 16x9. As the film is 15x9, you
obviously loose available image in the top and bottom of the screen. I
could not understand the reason for this until I considered the need to
transfer a 16x9 Lbox, or widescreen 525/625, do a DVE conversion to 4x3,
and do a matching transfer direct to 4x3. Any comments about this loss
of image area?