Re: S.G.I. system backup

3/08/96 Craig Nichols wrote:
>Has anyone attempted to use a Iomega SCSI Jazz Drive for SGI backup?
>The removable cartridges each hold 1 MB, and are pretty much the same
>speed as a hard drive. I'm playing with one on a Accom DIS still store,
>as so far it shows some promise.

don't you think it would be good to wait another few weeks until Syquest
releases its system, and then select one of the two 'Gig +' cartridges:
- Iomega 'JAZ' (1 Gb, 15ms seek time)
- Syquest 'SYJET' (1.3 Gb,11ms s.t.).
It would be a blessing if some of the many engineers of our list could
test and recommend the cartridge that would best meet our
film/audio/video needs.

This single cartridge would on one hand complement the 3.5" 1.4 Mb floppy
for heavy (image carrying) transfer databases,
and on the other provide a really TRANSPORTABLE audio disc that could
circulate through all the post-prod stages (telecine sync, editing,
final mixing), and between the many equipment manufacturers.

Jean-Pierre Beauviala - Aaton                       www.alpes-net.fr/aaton
                                         tl +33 7642 6409 fx +33 7651 3491