Re: Re: film look vs video look,"Rainbow"

With reference to the above topic and Kevin s comment,

>> Actually just passing video thru color enhancement makes a big
>>difference too. Especially using such tools as Custom Curves too build in a
>>film type logarithmic s-curve response to light.

I guess we have all found that in any grading session of tape sourced
material the application of master gamma will produce a distortion of the
linear video response which starts to emulate a  "toe to shoulder" film
curve although often the pre-clipped nature of the typical source will limit
our range.

It is with this in mind that a newspaper advert for a new film  "Rainbow"
which is directed by Bob Hoskins and is a co- production with Sony
High Definition caught my eye.

I am assuming that this has been sourced on a HDTV system and
essentially  tape edited and then scanned back to negative but I do
not have any details. Has this film been released in the USA or is there
anyone who can supply more information about the Post Production
process?

It would be interesting to know  what sort of color correction was used,
if any, pre the film printing stage, as I see that the DP was the legendary
Freddie Francis who, having more than a passing knowledge of Film,
would have been a fairly critical judge of the color response of the system.

I am also assuming that he would have limited the exposures to preserve
as much detail as possible for the negative scan back so the common
problem of clipping pre color corrector would be minimal.

So, will the viewing experience of this movie be the same as if it had been
shot on film, I guess its worth spending  L7 to find out.

As further aside there is, in the UK at least, increasing pressure from the
multi national producers of many consumer brands to force their  Agencies to
demand from Production Companies that commercials be shot on tape. A
Status Quo seems to have been reached with the increasing use of 16mm
over 35mm but the pressure to cut costs is going to increase as more
"Film Look " video cameras are brought to the market.

Regards,
Seamus O'Kane.
VTR Ltd. London.