13 years ago...

I had quite an experience today at work.  I worked with a client I
have worked with on and off for the last 13 years, and today he sent
me film shot 13 years ago, that I needed to 'match' to color I had
done in 1984.  I was given a 13-year-old one-inch tape for color
reference...

I was working in 1984 with a Rank Mk IIIC Digi II, Dubner, and
BTS/Fernseh noise reducer.

If I ever had any doubts about how far we've come in telecine transfer
quality, these doubts were dispelled today, when I saw today compared
to 1984.  The tape I saw had a burn on the left, subtle shading error,
tube phosphor texture, a couple of tiny tube dirt specks moving up and
down the frame, video noise, and noise reducer artifacts...yet it was
close to state-of-the-art at the time.  Today's transfer on vastly
superior gear had none of those problems.

--Rob