Re: Cinemascope vs. Todd AO

     The primary difference between Cinemascope and Todd-AO is of
     course, the film size, 70mm for Todd-AO and 35mm for Cinemascope.
     The Todd-AO system using spherical optics; Cinemascope using
     anamorphic optics.  Right away this puts a strain on the
     horizontal grain resolution of 35mm film using Cinemascope.

     The goal of Todd-AO was to give the audience what was described
     at the time "participation", today we you use the word,
     "immersion", as 70mm would provide a brighter/sharper output, you
     could then have a larger screen to envelope the audience.

     There were differences in the sound system as well, but I will
     not go into these.

     As to a meaningful comparison of technical quality, the AMC
     presentation you watched is without meaning in my opinion.  I do
     not think you would not have detected any significant resolution
     increase, and indeed as you pointed out, you would focus more on
     the color difference due to varying negative fade between the
     two, and of course, variations in aesthetic interpretation and/or
     technical capabilities of the two telecine transfers, depending
     on various factors, obvious to all of you folks here.

     I would gather they were merely pointing out the extravagance of
     two actual formats being shot for one film and the novelty of
     being able to show AMC viewers.

     Bottom line:  I don't think you missed anything.  If you ever
     have the opportunity to see the formats the way they were
     originally intended in a properly equipped theatre, now then you
     would most certainly see a noticeable difference.

     regards
     Nathan Simmons