Re: DVD

--- Forwarded mail from fancher at pacopost.com (James Fancher)

DVD uses variable bit rate encoding so you can encode streams at 6 or 8
megabits per second and get extremely high quality pictures for the
majority of scenes. Since the format supports 10 mbs data transfer rates
the tradeoff then is running time because the disk has a fixed data volume.

Computer simulations with non-realtime encoding indicate you can get
pictures that are indistinguishable from the original D-1 in subjective
testing under standard viewing conditions. 8 mbs for the picture appears to
be the threshold for constant bit rate encoding for most material.

I wouldn't be to quick top judge DVD video quality by any public
demonstration to date since the only real decoders I know of only showed up
in the US in June.

James Fancher
Chief Science Officer
Pacific Ocean Post