Re: DVD

When I was at the NAB show in Las Vegas earlier this,
I went to a demo that JVC engineering from Japan had
in a room above the floor in the convention center.
They had an "authoring" device that took a D-1 input
with subtle texture levels and lots of motion in
the picture (originally 35 mm) and assessed the image
frame by frame to detect and remove all redundancy
(including the original film frame code info to detect
film pulldown/video frame rate differences).
The resulting output was a digitally compressed
image that exhibited little difference in quality
to the eye from the D-1 input.
The whole issue of compression makes use of
removal of redundancy without sacrificing
motion and picture content changes which is
coincidentally the same technique currently
used for video noise reduction.