Cinemascope vs. Todd AO

I watched some musicals last weekend on American Movie Classics (AMC),
and I was curious about one of the movies.  They ran "Oklahoma" in
letterbox and from the Todd AO 70mm version.  According to AMC, two
versions of each scene were made, one in 35mm Cinemascope and a second
take in 70mm Todd AO.  The two versions were edited different and the
sound mixed different, the Todd AO version to be released in premier
theatres. This was very interesting, but they had a demo showing a
split screen of the two versions during a musical number allowing sync
of the two, a small letterbox version of each in the screen.  What we
saw was an extreme color difference between the two versions leading
use to believe the difference between the two processes was color and
not resolution.  I looked for resolution differences, but that would
have been hard to identify here.  Am I missing something here, or was
the demo incorrectly put together.  Was resolution the primary
difference between the two processes?  Also, who is transferring 70mm
these days?  I am impressed somebody would go through that much expense
and labor to do that.  Gary Adams