DVD

We have not yet began to make MPEG-2 streams or even attempted to
author DVD programs, however after attending many DVD meetings and
demos, there is one thing I would like to point out. Even though DVD
is a compressed component format, most of the first players that hit
the market for the consumer will have only a composite output with
macrovision embedded. It also seems that most "compressionist" are
finding that they have to run the average variable bit rate at around
3.5 to 4 Mbs ( mega bits per second ) for feature film length
material so that everything will fit. Keep this in mind when you are
watching your demos at 8 Mbs. It is  true that a lot of the "quality"
will depend on the equipment and person doing the compression but D-1
quality???

Howard