Re: D1 control track problems

Chris Bacon wrote:

>Finally, the tape tension appears to be a major difficulty in the DVR 2xxx
>series machines.  By design, the tension is very low, so far down that the
>tape sometimes doesn't make good contact with the control track head, which
>is built into the scanner at the bottom of the tape guide.  My theory is that
>the problem could be that as the head wears (or as the glue that holds it to
>the scanner shrinks), the head-to-tape contact gets too low to work reliably.
> This is why these machines seem okay when you take them out of the box, but
>after several months' to a years' worth of use, they start conking out.

I hope this doesn't sound too obvious, but I have found in the past that
that control track head is very susceptible to oxide build-up, and further,
the use of the traditional tex-wipe will often NOT remove a crust of built
up residue. It usually needs to be gently 'scraped'. Usually, the dead
giveaway when this problem exists, is a slight dip in the RF where the
control track head would be.
BTW, I've seen this on BTS D1's as well....

Cheers
Phil Mendelson      philm at hollydig.com
"Animals are our friends...............
but they won't take us to the airport."