Re: nitrate (further)

Ahhh Nitrate - doesnt it look great though?

I have had some encounters myself and would like to add the following Safety
note t the other excellent replies.

If Nitrate stock ignites for whatever reason, it cannot be "put out" by any
conventional means. The procedure recommended to me was to starve it of air,
remove it to a safe exterior location, and then expose it to air again. At this
point it will continue to burn. Do not think that foam or blankets have put out
the fire, as soon as the air gets to it combustion will continue. In practice,
if nitrate is in its volatile state, and ignites on opening the can, replace
the lid, take it outside and watch the fireworks.

All the Best
Kevin