Keycodes & Non-Linear Editing

I have (3) questions for the group, but first let me explain the situation:
We were making prints from dupe-negatives & fine-grains of archival material
(both 16mm & 35mm) which would be then be transfered to video and fed into
and Avid Film Composer for editing.  Once editing was complete, dupe-negs
would be made from the selected portions of the fine-grains and all the
negative would be conformed according to the cut-list. Eastman is putting
Keycode on dupe-neg stock, but not fine-grain. Some of the print we made were
printed from tails-to-heads resulting in decending edge numbers (and Keycode
on dupe-negs). The thought of heads or tails printing never occured to us
until the client discovered the problem. My questions:

(1)  When editing with a non-linear system that is either designed for or
used with the intention of returning to film, does the film-to-tape transfer
have to made at 24 fps or will the editor compensate for the 6 fps when an
EDL is made? Perhaps this function is dependent on the editing equipment
itself?

(2)  Is there a program and/or system that can calculate or work with
decending keycode (i.e. so a mistake like ours can be rectified without
making new prints)?

(3)  What good does it do to use the Keycode on the dupe-negs when the both
the fine-grains & the dupe-negs will the loaded into the Avid for editing?
When the fine-grain selects need to be printed to dupe-neg stock, how will
the edited (EDL) fine-grain cut numbers then correspond to the new dupe-negs?

Have I confused anyone other than myself???

Thanks in advance for any input.

Bono Film & Video, Inc.