Film Puzzler

Here's the puzzler of the week:

Five lab rolls, each lab roll shows the same symptoms.

There is a rather sever density change from beginning to end of each camera
roll, that occurs roughly twice per second.  The rate does not change from
the beginning to the end of the mag.  The density change is equal to all
three film layers and appears to pulse evenly across the frame, i.e it does
not begin on the left or right edge and wash across.  The density change is
also across the unexposed frame line, but is contained only within the
cameras aperture.

What caused this?
Bad film stock?
Laboratory/processing?
Shutter/sync?
Pre-exposure from the bag?

The answer to me seems obvious, but I've no way to prove it.

No prize for getting it right, except to know you were.

Dean