Re: Colorists & DPs

June 3 '96   Seamus wrote:
>>despite the showing at NAB and elsewhere of the " new technologies "
>> designed to interface the DP's exposures to the Colorists fingers,
>> this will always be an area of contention.
>> The irony of the situation is that no matter which type of reference
>> system is used to bring the DP's vision to our monitors they will all
>> demand a measure of cost, be it in hardware or time.

Hardware expensive? I don't think the Kodak TTEF process is.

In Post it will not ruin your boss:
- To align the telecine, all you need is ONE loop of TTEF film - and one
loop only for all  rawstocks around  (the TTEF film itself is cheap,
as it is  much simpler to produce than TAF).
- The GreyFinder is a Keylink low cost software option.
    (KL version 6.0 even brings you an evaluation software
    for you to play with the GreyFinder for free).
On location it is quite light too:
- A cheap and small 18% grey card can be quickly and discretly
photographed anywhere in the frame, because the Greyfinder is happpy
with a surface 1/100 of the picture area.

For the extra time this process will take, I will leave you write the
book.

Jean-Pierre
(but I know it's very minute)

aaton at alpes-net.fr,
2 rue de la Paix BP3002, 38001 Grenoble, France,
tel +33 7642 6409, fax +33 7651 3491,
http://www.alpes-net.fr/aaton