Question for all.

                                          3:18 PM             6/4/96

The following is a dumb question that I can't seem to be able to get a
straight answer from any of the other editors I have talked too.  And THIS is
the perfect group to ask!  Question:  When an off-line editor prepares a
telecine list for a final film-to-tape color correction that has sync sound,
is it absolutely necessary to have corresponding nagra (or DAT) timecode
numbers for every scene of sync dialog.  It is my understanding that timecode
from the nagra or the DAT is printed on the film negative at the time of
shooting.  Wouldn't this mean that the nagra or DAT would chase and sync to
the film during transfer?  Or am I wrong.  If it does keep up with the film,
is there any reason to give sound timecode numbers, in addition to video
timecode and keycode numbers, to the telecine operator? Thanks in advance for
any replies.