RE> [TIG] What is Legal?

Following Mr Corbitts request for standards (i.e. understanding of) w.r.t to
legality I will be the first to stand in line with him.
But it is not as simple as finding a single standard, it is like the quest for
the holy grail. Poke in one cave and youl find it to be a dead end. This issue
always causes frustration at some end of the process and by the time parties
have reached (official or not) consensus, the development of new formats has
just moved said consensus to medievial domains.

So, an enforced standard could potentially be limiting to true innovation (a
rare occurence these days). What the entire industry needs is a standard that
points development in a type of direction that all manufacturers/inventors can
follow and which enables previous developments to fit into the future. It's a
bit of Klondyke today.

Where is it found, where to look?
What was said by Steve Russell /BTS about the Spirit,  is in my mind a teaser in
this direction.  We (I still consider myself to not be completely out) in the
moving image industry could learn a lot about why the computer industry COULD
grow and I am not talking about commercial factors. But there is also so much
prestige and intermanucturer competition to be the inventors of the ultimate
device that it makes me depressed. What drives the computer industry is the same
force that drives the video/film industry - faster processing/larger
memories/and wider superhighways and for obvious commercial reasons this also
drives the component industry and there is where you should take a sober look.

Mike Reichel (now totally independent)