Color temperature reference

I am in search of a good color temperature reference for use in setting up
our monitors.  While we have a working color analyzer and matching probe; I
am inclined to not trust it, and wish to have a "second opinion."      I
cannot verify the color temperature of the B&W monitors we have available in
house, and am intent instead on locating a device I have heard called a
"comparator."  I understand that this device is simply a card and separate
light source enclosed in a box with an eyepiece.