RE: Fibre Channel...

>Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 10:40:39 -0400
>From: Cdheuer at aol.com

>on the subject of data transfer from Spirit: Seems to me it would be
>desirable to get BTS to support fibre-channel either along with or even
>instead of HIPPI.

I agree, but much of FC is still on the drawing board.  The good news is
that FC supports HIPPI protocall, so porting the code over to FC hardware is
relatively easy.

> FC is capable of similar performance and a much more
>attractive future path.

FC will actually out perform HIPPI in the 1G version.

>Note also the multiple vendor endoresment for FC as the preferable high speed
>studio network technology: Tektronix/HP/SGI.

& more... I believe that this is a standard we will be seeing a lot of in
the next few years... for more technoweenie style information...
http://www1.cern.ch/HSI/fcs/spec/overview.htm
http://www.fcgroup.com/