multi-format eyestrain

MICHEL LAPOINTE wrote:
> installing
> a calibrated lightbox around the colorist`s monitor.

I think if you talk to any veteran colorist, they will agree that a
splay of illumination behind the program monitor is a welcome source of
color balance and eyestrain relief.

Many of us prefer more than less and vice-versa. Colorist programmability is a
big plus. Check the TIG archives for additional spew.

> Is it useful ? (if yes, then why is it that it's not in all transfer suites?)

Why not, indeed!

On another stress reducing note. Has anyone else discovered increased
eyestrain when switching between display standards. I invariably always
leave the suite with a headache when working in both 525 and 625 during the
same session. What is the source of this stress. Is it that age old
flicker problem that many of us NTSC colorists notice on 625 material.
If the session involves a simple laydown to another standard with the
same list, why would their be additional eyestrain if the color
rendition is similar in both standards. Do PAL colorists get migraines
from NTSC material? Do they see flicker or just soft low res images?
Perhaps the line rate change is affecting the occular nerve in some
twisted fashion. Does anyone else have this problem or is this
particular to one brand of colorist?

Best,

Bob Festa			festa at earthlink.net
Director of Telecine		festa at hollydig.com
Hollywood Digital
6690 Sunset Blvd
Hollywood, California 90028	213 465 0101
Bob Festa                               festa at earthlink.net
Director of Telecine                    festa at hollydig.com
Hollywood Digital          www.hollydig.com/talent/telecine/festa2.html
6690 Sunset Blvd.          www.earthlink.net/~festa/index.html