re: under/over

Just what everybody needs! A nice safe topic we can discuss...

I have ALWAYS used underscan, partly from "blind habit", but mostly
because I'm too damn paranoid about not seeing everything I'm sending
out. Sure, clients like to see overscan, but show me a real DP who would
mask off part of his viewfinder while shooting.I agree with Chris Bacon,
I find being able to check frame lines,blanking, and incursions important
and I can pop up OS in a second(or put up a reticule). Most of my clients
accept this without much problem (except for the music video types, but
what can I say...), and probably attribute it to my cranky old lab
mentality. Oh well...
 As for setup, I adjust for underscan, and explain the difference when we
switch. Using the endless Sony monitor channels is a good idea, tho.

Dave Koslow

--- End of forwarded message from dave koslow <dkoz at intercall.com>