Re: [TIG] What is Legal?

At Image Group we also adhere to a transmission oriented "broadcast-ability"
standard first. We find that the strictest requirements on this tend to come
from cable and other non-broadcast programmers because a) analog satellite
transponders and cable modulators can be even more sensitive than broadcast
transmitters and b) most broadcasters run proc amps w/clips ahead of their
transmitters and other transmission channels while a great many
"non-broadcast" transmission channels are unprotected in this way.

We base our standard QC on transmission requirements and relax them only on
specific client request. For this reason, composite wfm and vector are the
principal tools in all rooms and component scopes are viewed as a sometimes
useful (with education!) adjunct. Making sure your encoders (actually the
entire monitoring path) are free of clips is critical.

A recommended practice on this would certainly be helpful, although in the
past consensus has been hard to find because a) different analog channels
have different points of constraint (at least with quad a good recording
constrained us pretty well :))
and b) it is very tricky to ignore the gamut issue in such a document since
strictly speaking, adherance to legal gamut is still an FCC requirement via
the ntsc equations. (a regulatory change that allowed transmittable colors
outside the ntsc gamut is REALLY what we propably need!)

I certainly agree that equating legal gamut with the standard for an
acceptable composite result is very wrong headed. Beyond this, however, I
have found that there is no substitute for a continuous committment to
educating clients, creative and operations personnel to the challenging
complexity of this situation!