[TIG] legal video

About 2 years ago, representatives from most major New York post
houses convened to talk about a convention (not a standard!) for
chroma and luma levels.  At that time, we pretty much agreed that we
would use broadcastability as our reference point, but recognized
effects of overdeviation, etc. as mentioned elsewhere.

Our localized convention resulted in a drastic reduction in complaints
between houses as well as clients and houses.  The latter was due to the
fact that many NY houses share clients, and consistency was both recongized
and appreciated by the clients.

With a few execptions (like PBS) we generally agreed on luma and chroma
levels for broadcast.  Life was pretty good for a while.

Then clients were infected with buzzwords like "illlegal" and fear swept
the nation (note flair for the dramatic).  New 601 monitoring is in many
cases adding more confusion than solving problems.  Some of this is a direct
result of our different businesses; broadcast clients may have different
philosophies than, say, film-finish or display-only clients.

Nonetheless, I think in general the "broadcast referenec point" (i.e., a
signal which can safely be transmitted w/o detriment to the transmitter)
is a valid approach.  Any 601 device is basically measuring gamut violations
which may or may not be important.

Keep in mind that the display device you are judging results on is still RGB
and if you monitor these results in coded form, then you are getting a pretty
good look at what the customer is *capable* of seeing at home.

Lastly, we need to educate us folk as well as others on the differences between
gamut-legal and broadcast-legal, but that's another story...

(PS- I don't think anyone's actually been arrested for possessing or selling a
color outside the diamond display; perhaps "illegal" is too strong a word. How
about "prone to possible anomolous chromatic reproduction"?)

Bill Topazio, VP/Engineering     bt at mte.com     v:212-907-1225
Manhattan Transfer / Edit        New York, NY   f:212-687-2719

"Blame not on malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."  -Hanlon's Razor