Re: [TIG] What is Legal?

We at Roland House agree with Dave's assessment of legal/non-legal
levels. For this reason we base legal levels not on the Y,R-Y,B-Y parade,
or the double diamond, but on the vector (X-Y) display of the color
diference signals, referenced to 75% color bars. This is compatible with
SMPTE/EBU N-10 levels. Since both RGB and Y,R-Y, B-Y allow levels that
are illegal when encoded. It seems prudent to monitor composite
compatible as described above. As for standards, There will be arguments
against a 75% standard on the grounds that it limits chroma range,
causing more aliasing (more of an issue in 8bit 601 than 10 bit). This
explains all of the 100% chroma material that we get from Europe. We
would also like to see some standards, though. Vince