Re: [TIG] PAL xfr with NTSC DAT

On Tue, May 14, 1996 9:01:10 AM, Dave Corbitt wrote:

>                      Subject:                              Time:  8:55 AM

>  OFFICE MEMO         PAL xfr with NTSC DAT                 Date:  5/14/96

>Hello all,
>Maybe someone can help me out.  We have a feature transfer job coming in
for
>transfer to both NTSC at 23.98 fps film rate and PAL at 25.0 fps film
rate.
>The Audio is on DAT with 29.97 fps timecode.  We have Sony DAT model #
>PCM-7050, DaVinci Renaissance/DUI, TLC, Aaton Keylink for Timecode
generation,
>URSA Gold telecines.  Can this be done without generating a full coat 35
mm
>Mag from the DAT to keep all in sync for both standards?  I suspect we
can't
>do it without the mag.
>Thanks
>Dave Corbitt
>
>-----
>mailing list available as a digest..list your gear/jobs in web classified

>inquiries to rob at alegria.com     http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html

Hi Dave,
It certainly sounds like you should be able to do it. I once had a DAT that
was recorded with 24fps time code and I set the DAT machine to read it as
though it was 30fps NDF time code, and by golly, it worked. This was for
syncing up smart slate dailies and the only adjustment that I had to do
was, because the slate was displaying 24fps time code, was to mentally
interpolate the 24 frames in each second to 30. For example, 8 frames on
the slate becomes 10 frames for video and 20 frames on the slate becomes 25
frames of video etc. You might try to read the 29.97 time code as 25 fps so
that the Time Logic can properly sync it up and driving the DAT machine
with PAL video reference. It might even work. As a last resort you can do a
DAT to DAT dub at the proper varispeed to lock to PAL.
Hoping it works,
Martin Zeichner