[TIG] 4:2:2:4 and 4x4 D-1 Applications

All,

My quest for information regarding 4:4:4 D1 recording has resulted in a
forwarding of the pertinent Sony implementation of this concept. This
information is directly lifted from the Sony "Digital Peripheral Equipment"
catalog #BC-00119-G, pages 20, 21 and 28.

___________
>     TWIN D-1 VTR APPLICATION
>
>     The Sony BKDV-4224AD and the BKDV-4224DA is a D-1 signal
>     converter which provides, respectiveley, 8 bits A/D and D/A
>     conversion capabilities for a D-1 VTR, in conjuction with two D-1
>     VTRs such as DVR-2100/2000, they can form a range of
>     recording/playback systems.
>
>     *4:2:2 picture plus key channel production
>      (4:2:2:4 mode)
>     *Full band RGB plus key channel production
>      (4x4 mode)
>     *Double horizontal resolution of 525/60 or 625/50 signals
>      (8:4:4 H mode)
>     *Progressive scan 525/60 or 625/50 system
>      (8:4:4 V mode)
>
>     SINGLE D-1 VTR APPLICATION
>
>     The Sony DVPC-4224 Digital Signal Processor enables recording of
>     a component video signal along with a key signal within a single
>     D-1 VTR, with the use of coefficient recording technology with
>     effective data handling.  It is designed to operate exclusively
>     with a Sony DVR-2000SP Series D-1 format VTR and accepts both
>     525/60 and 625/50 video signals, (optional BKDV-2000K update kit
>     required minor modification for DVR-2100/2000 Series VTRs).
>
>     The DVPC-4224 supports both 4:2:2:4 and 4:4:4:4 (4x4 mode).

This scheme appears to incorporate the the existing twin D1 VTR base using 8
bit technology. Anyone have any comments on its use?

Bob

Bob Festa                               festa at earthlink.net
Director of Telecine                    festa at hollydig.com
Hollywood Digital          www.hollydig.com/talent/telecine/festa2.html