Re: [TIG] PAL xfr with NTSC DAT

Dave Corbitt wrote
>We have a feature transfer job coming in for
>transfer to both NTSC at 23.98 fps film rate and PAL at 25.0 fps film rate.
>The Audio is on DAT with 29.97 fps timecode.

If only the audio engineer had selected the 'universal' 24 Smpte on his
DAT recorder!
The film  being  shot at 24 fps and the audio Smpte at 29.97 nd, the
simplest thing to do is to make a copy of the original DAT to another DAT
in which the 29.97 played back track is converted into a 24 recorded
Smpte (easy with a Sony-7050).
Your Keylink will only have to deliver a 24fps LTC Smpte for both NTSC
and PAL transfers (this is possible with the 24&1 feature of Version 6.0).

NTSC transfer
NTSC-1- with the Smpte 29.97 DAT original
TK speed 23.98/NTSC (w.  3&2 pulldown identifiers),  Keylink generated
LTC out :  29.97 fps  for the chasing  Sony PCM-7050   (standard
operation)

NTSC-2- with the Smpte 24-converted DAT copy
TK speed 23.98/NTSC (w.  3&2 pulldown identifiers),  Keylink generated
LTC out :  24 fps  at 23.98 for the chasing Sony PCM-7050 to compare the two
24s   at  23.98 speed

PAL transfer
With the latest V6.0 software, Keylink can be used under the new 24&1
mode and still generate an Smpte24 (as well as an Smpte 25) , there is no
more telecine speed acceleration like in the former 24 at 25 PAL mode.  Both
Avid and Lightworks editors now perfectly handle this 24&1 pulldown
alongwith Smpte 24fps recorded DATs.  We know of several 24 fps films
being already transfered and edited this way in Europe.

PAL-1- with the Smpte 29.97 DAT original
TK speed 24 /PAL (w.  24&1 pulldown identifiers), Keylink generated LTC
out : 24 Smpte to the Sony PCM-7050 programmed to playback an Smpte 24
out of  a 29.97 track, then chasing  between the two 24s.

PAL-2- with the Smpte 24-converted DAT copy
TK speed 24 /PAL (w.  24&1 pulldown identifiers), Keylink generated LTC
out : 24 Smpte for the chasing Sony PCM-7050 to compare the two 24s.

I'am not sure the Sony 7050 is easy to program for the PAL-1 method to
work immediatly, the PAL-2 method works for sure. So you will only have
to make a DAT to DAT copy, which is certainly better and faster than a
DAT to  full coat 35mm job.

Tell us what's your working choice, I am sure many people are watching
you on this one.

Alain

aaton at alpes-net.fr,
2 rue de la Paix BP3002, 38001 Grenoble, France,
tel +33 7642 6409, fax +33 7651 3491,
http://www.alpes-net.fr/aaton