Re: Spirit

>Just a point of clarification regarding this machine.  The machines at the show
>were each setup for 525 and HDTV respectively, but it is my understanding that
>it is the same machine.  Ultimately, this one machine will be able to output in
>any of these formats, and all the color control is in high resolution.
>Some of the previous comments seem to assume that there were two different
>machines being displayed.
>Phil Mendelson      philm at hollydig.com
>"Animals are our friends...............
>but they won't take us to the airport."

I'd like to take Phil's point a step further.  The observations shared by
members of the group have not mentioned the importance of resolution
independence.  The operator of the Spirit can choose the desired output of
the film image scanned at 2K resolution--4:4:4:4, 4:2:2:4, 8:4:4 (standard
def); 1125, 1250 (high def), and data.  Having the option to output data to
a workstation for television special effects, film opticals, etc. during
one telecine session, then select a different output to transfer film for
an NTSC or PAL commercial for the next, and then do a high def feature
transfer the session after that, would seem to be a rather flexible way of
working. It is my understanding that the Spirit working solely in standard
def is also available.

Re:  "The Look"

I did not see the "CCD type flatness" in picture quality that has been
mentioned.  Subleties in color separation and increased definition in the
images give me a feeling of depth.  I hate to sound like a broken record,
but I can't pass up the opportunity to mention how important the variable
illumination source is in this film transfer process.  Changing the amount
of light passing through the film based upon the density of the image also
helps to produce a feeling of depth.

Regards,

Lynette Duensing
FLH-1000 Colorist