Cutting down front surface mirrors?????

I just had a front surface mirror re-surfaced at a shop that's by my
house in Skokie, Ill, and was informed by them that a lot of people
with Ranks are getting the front surface mirrors CUT TO A SMALLER SIZE
and if I wanted mine done to, they would be glad to do for us like
they have done others....   ??????    HUH??
Curiosity has got the best of me on this one...  Could someone please
explaing why one would want to reduce the size of the front surface
mirrors used in the Rank?????

 Jan Janowski