Cleaning Nitrate?

     A client of ours has some old nitrate film and called to ask
about transferring it.  One of his questions was if we could sonic
clean it, and I'm personally not sure.  We have a CF200 with
Trichlor, still, and my initial feeling is that it would not be a
good idea.  Specifically the heated drying tower is a worry point.
     I really don't know what shape his film is in, but I tend to
think having the film "rejuvenated" might be a better option than a
sonic cleaning.
     So, does anyone know the proper way to clean nitrate film?  If a
rejuvenation bath is a good idea, can anyone recommend a good
facility?  I have a feeling there's a fair amount of film involved,
perhaps 10,000 feet of 35mm.
     Finally, can someone provide a timeframe for the replacement of
nitrate by safety film?  My memory's vague on that (I'm not _that_
old!) but I seem to remember the mid 20's though an associate here
thought it happened in the late 30's.
     Thanks for your help!

Robert