re: evergreen display

At 12:47 PM 4/2/96 -0800, you wrote:

>That's just as well, as the use of the built-in pluge in color bars will
>yield inadequate results, if monitor brightness is set by it.
>#1 It's in the region where most CRT's will exhibit some fall-off
>#2 The APL of Bars is too unrepresentative of what typical program APL's
>will be.

Actually, I do prefer full screen pluge for setting the monitor brightness,
but presently I do not have any such serial 601 signal.
The Phillips probe has this available in composite and component, but
serial. Do you know where I can get a valid serial pluge? It makes sense
that the bottom right corner is not a really good place to adjust monitor
brightness, yet some colorists I've worked with in the past have insisted
upon judging this way, even after seeing that the full screen pluge is correct.

>#This brings up the wider issue of whether you want ANY (High contrast) menu
>on-screen when making this adjustment!

The excess of high contrast garbage menus on the ever "scream' screen makes
it difficult to judge much of anything.

>The use of a larger area pluge, with more realistic gray scale is highly
>recommended.

I agree,Phil.

>Phil Mendelson      philm at hollydig.com

I really wish the Sony would prompt you that your settings have been saved,
instead of going into screen freak out mode, and then depositing you
somewhere deeper within menu hell.

The shaft encoders either move one "Sony" number at a time, or too many Sony
numbers at a time, unlike the daVinci shaft encoders.  It's a good thing,
perhaps, that Sony does not make a Telecine color corrector using these
shaft encoders.

Craig Nichols
Todd-AO Video