Re: sony 'evergreen' monitor

Our first BVM-20FU1 appeared on the scene last week; spent some time with it
and have mixed feelings.

Performance-wise, this series looks like an improvement over the old 1910s.
 The picture is sharper, and the lowlights weren't mashed quite so much.  On
the other hand, ours had an incurable purity problem (blue blotch in the
lower right hand corner), so it's already on its way back to Sony service.

We found out all about the shaft encoders in the remote box.  They do take a
bit of getting used to!  When you turn them very slowly, they move things one
step at a time, and it's sometimes hard to tell if anything is changing.  Of
course this isn't the problem when you turn the knobs fast.  What I found
annoying was when you select various things like the comb filter or the
monochrome mode, the monitor seems to wink out for about a second, then it
comes back up with whatever you selected.  Forget about doing comparisons
between modes by flicking the switch.

As for the menus, I couldn't help but think, "c'mon guys, it's only a
monitor!"  Nine-tenths of it is baloney you might use one time when you
install the monitor.  As for the other tenth, well, it's nice to see it once
you find it, but we were getting along fine with our tweakers, thank you.
 All things considered, it seems like a decent piece of equipment, but if
those buttons, menus, and shaft encoders are representative of the new
"all-digital age," I'd be willing to wager that it's going to be the shortest
"age" in history!

Christopher Bacon
DuArt Film & Video