Re: MONITORS

Dear Peter,

You didn't say whether the monitor you seek is for a computer application or
for standard video.  If it is the former, then Barco is probably the only
game in town at the present time.

On the other hand, if you want a video monitor, the Sony BVM 1911 and its 14"
counterpart can be provided with auto set-up probes.  They aren't known for
being perfectly repeatable, however, so many facilities keep color analyzers
such as the Minolta CA-100 on hand for precise monitor alignments.  Sony was
supposedly bringing out some new monitors with a much improved auto set-up,
but they haven't delivered any yet.

Some Asaca Shibasoku video monitors are also available with an auto set-up
system which appears to have very good repeatability.  Unlike the Sony
probes, which set white and black levels directly, the Shiba system sets the
three colors independently, which seems to be more satisfactory for
automation.

Having had a little experience with these systems, I can understand why
monitor manufacturers aren't out stumbling over each other to incorporate
auto set-up into their products.  It is actually an extremely difficult thing
to build a stable, repeatable probe that can detect very subtle differences
in bright and dark lights over three colors at a price customers would be
willing to pay.  I suppose that in the not-too-distant future, non-CRT
monitors which don't require adjustments will take over and we'll look back
on all of this with the same nostalgia now reserved for plumbicon bias lights
and 4116 RAM chips.

Christopher Bacon