Re: Wet Gates

Dear Jeff,

I've never worked on wet gates for the FDL's, but I have spent some time with
the Rank variety.  Aside from the mechanical considerations of fitting the
gate on the machine, I believe they are pretty much the same.

Let's just say it's a learning experience.  For example, you learn about
things like viton rubber hoses and seals, which survive a long time in
perchlorethylene (other types of rubber don't).  And you get to find out what
perc does to electronic components when said hoses and seals give up the
ghost anyway.

You also get to meet interesting people like your area EPA and OSHA reps, who
will be glad to "educate" you on the finer points of ventilation, exposure
limits, disposal of hazardous materials, and spill management.

You will learn plumbing, power control, hydraulics, thermodynamics, and
pneumatics, maybe all at the same time.  As it would appear that the same man
who authored Murphy's Law must've also been in the wet gate business, you can
expect to receive this training mostly during, or right before client
sessions.

On the other hand, if you get a system installed and running properly, you
will have a something that can't be beat by any bunch of electronic gadgetry
currently available.  With good film, you can give an image a rich look
that's hard to achieve any other way.  On old, worn, or damaged film, dirt
won't be nearly as much of a problem, and almost any scratches on the base
side of the film will vanish.  If you can deal with the hassles, the results
are definitely worth it.

Christopher Bacon