T.A.F.s

-- [ From: David Keleshian * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

 I have in the past experimented with TAFs, comparing them with film
that I was 99.99% sure was exposed equal to the ASA the negative was
rated at, I was surprised at the results.
 Although I did at the time have the resources I did not get hazeltine
numbers off of different batches of TAF, but I did notice (albeit
slight) differences in IRE levels between same stock TAFs and color
balance did not match. It left me a little skeptical on the reliance in
TAF and from then on asked the Cinematographer to expose a chart for
stock alignment.
 Last S.M.P.T.E. meeting in Hollywood, Eastman announced a new type of
TAF for setting up a telecine prior to a dallies job in order to give
the Cinematographer a "light". If it works it will be a great asset to
production and put a new light on "dallies" Colorists. If it "drifts"
between stock batches well this sorta scares me.
 Before I became a Colorist I was a tape op. I spent 8 years reading
scopes. Then I was promoted, doing dallies. If I had to give a "light"
to a DP...Well what I'm trying to say is I didn't even know what a
"light" was back then.
 It takes a Lab timer years to get where he is, yet soon the least
experienced Colorist will be giving extremely important information to
DP's with the understanding that they are knowledgeable. In
analogy..Would you let a 16 year old drive your new Farrarri? Sure he
may be a good driver but are you willing to risk your job on it?
									 Dave Keleshian