Re: archive help

>Subject	archive help
>From	David Henegar
>To	Telecine group

Q:  My question is:  When editing a commercial where two scenes are
superimposed over each other, what is the best way to telecine both shots to
the final color corrected master reel, seeing as how both shots will have
the same record timecode numbers?  What is the typical way of transferring
in this situation that would work best for the on-liner who will be
reconforming?

A:  The film is usually transfered as roll# 1 = 1hr timecode and ascends
from there.  The editor provides a EDL in a B mode sort, grouping edits
according to their playback reel number with ascending source in-points.  If
you do a tape to tape of the spot you need to provide an EDL disk in a A
mode sort.  Turbo trace the list so there are no gump reel lists.

Q:  Second question is:  When you  telecine a sync sound scene to a final D2
master, for instance, for reconforming, is it necessary to go back to the
DAT or 1/4" Nagra in the sound mixing stage for the final conforming of sync
audio?  Or is it more than adequate to use the sync sound from the D2 on the
final on-line.

A:  In our market we do the syncing of the commercials directly to DCT and
don't go back to the original scene tapes.  This is done because the
commercials don't allow the extra budget.  The audio house usually gets a
dubbed DAT of the conform to work with.

These answer may not work for every market as budget will dictated the
amount of effort you put into a job.  I hope this helps you.  Now do I get
any free editing lessons for this information?

regards
Lorne Miess
Studio Post & Transfer