Fwd: Fwd: hope you'll post this

---- Begin Forwarded Message
From: JimErkson at aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 04:21:17 -0500
To: thomferm at ix.netcom.com
Subject: Fwd: hope you'll post this

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	thomferm at ix.netcom.com (Thomas M. Ferman)
To:	JimErkson at aol.com
Date: 96-01-31 00:32:08 EST

Before I was cutoff, I was trying to relate a similar problem I
experienced with two URSA's.  We had a static discharge problem so
severe, you could both hear and see arcing on the rotating platters.
We tried typical and not so typical grounding schemes, and even
invested in the reel motor grounding kits.  We still had a static
problem that would cause video sparkles, capstan servo bumps, and would

occasionally even change the input to the Accom noise reducer.  What
made matters worse is that we were never able to replicate the problem
while troubleshooting.  We were only experiencing the problem during
paying sessions.  We finally realized (with some help) that while we
were troubleshooting, the plexi transport door was open.  During normal

operation, the door was closed.  Apparently the plexi door was acting
like a huge capacitor, occasionally discharging through the frame.
Since we've left the transport door open, we've never again experienced

the static problem we'd had.  I know this is a little different than
what you'd described, but I thought you might find it interesting.
Regards!

You wrote:

>Tom, I just got an incomplete message from you concerning the
sparkle--
>problem.  Not sure what you were writing, but it turns out that Dave
Corbitt