BLANKITY-BLANK BLANKING

                                                                    18:00
  OFFICE MEMO                                                 Time:
                      Subject:
                      BLANKITY-BLANK BLANKING                       01-24-96

We have noticed an anomaly with our ACCOM D-Bridge equipment that I
can't explain.  If we take a D2 signal, decode it with a D-221 and
then re-encode it to D2 with a D-122, I get an extra 100-150ns of
blanking.  I have no other good encoders or decoders to determine
if this is an "expected" condition, but it's repeatable with other
D-Bridge stuff.  Not sure if it's happening on the decode or the
encode side.  I Figured that while I was investigating this, I may
as well ask you folks if you have seen this or know of a fix.

Why am I concerned with this little amount?  Because we often do
tape-tape corrections of D2 material that has already been through
the mill, so to speak, at other facilities, including film transfer,
analogue edit, re-edits, etc. so the blanking is already close to
the limit by the time we get it.  Any clues?

-bt / EDITEL NY