----------------------------
Date: 01-12-96 12:28
To: Topazio, Bill
From: KA2IQB at aol.com

It is not necessary, by the way, to buy a full-blown Super 16 gate to
transfer Super 16.  Many years before such things were commercially
available, we were doing such transfers with an old standard 16 gate that we
modified ourselves.  Peterson made up a special skid plate with a super 16
aperture and condensor lens, and we sent a set of rollers to the local
machine shop to have the shoulders down.  The sprockets on the gate and the
"sepmag transducer" also have to be cut or replaced on older Ranks.

It isn't a bad idea to have super 16 rollers and sprockets on your machine in
any case just because somebody might thread up a piece of super 16 film not
knowing what it is, and then you'll be glad your machine didn't scratch it.
 It isn't necessary to buy a separate gate if you don't do a lot of super 16;
you could simply swap skid plates on the same gate when necessary.

With this arrangement, it is necessary to turn the burn corrector off and
tape its flap up; otherwise the flap causes a shadow.  The results are
definitely NOT as nice as the commercial gates produce because you don't have
the fancy optics, and you have to  reposition your scan.  Running without the
burn corrector makes shading rough at times, and forget about doing heavy
pan-and-scan work.  The sharpness is tolerable--not great, but enough to work
with.  In our case the amount of zoom needed to make a 4:3 full screen was
not excessive.  The pictures are quite acceptable for many purposes, and
since it can be done for less than 1/10th of the cost of a new gate, it makes
an excellent way to break into the Super 16 business.

Christopher Bacon
DuArt Film & Video