RE: MNR 11

This past Fall, Crawford began telecine work on a documentary project
showcasing footage shot during World War II by the 8th Air Force.
If you can imagine, this film was shot and handled in some
rough conditions. Not to mention its age. (1940's)
To aid in dirt and scratch removal we purchased a
loaded MNR 11 from BTS.  Our first impressions of the MNR 11's
capabilities were somewhat sceptical.  This box takes a great deal of
trial and error in order to optimize the dirt removal settings. There
is a fine line between the optimal settings for dirt removal and
introducing undesirable artifacts. So far we have found that as much
as 90% of the dirt can be removed seamlessly from relatively
stable (motion free) shots.  Dirt cannot be easily removed from footage
with quick and sudden camera moves. (zooms, pans ect).
We have also found that the MNR 11 works best when set in either
Black Dirt mode or White Dirt mode but not as well
in the B&W mode.  Black & White prints with black dirt or Color Negative
with white dirt are the easiest to deal with.
The MNR 11 also requires optimization on a scene-to-scene basis and
from one film stock to another.  It's not just a "set it and forget
it" process.

The scratch removal feature works well when vertical scratches
are perfectly stable (no side to side motion).  If there is motion in
the scratch, it may not be completely removed. It will however be
made less noticeable in most cases. I would like to see improvements
made on this filter.

Also, the MNR 11 has an image stabilization filter. This works very
well and is useful when transferring old 16mm prints.

Craig Heyl
Crawford Communications