Re: "Dirt boxes"

Hello Craig,

We recently tried to do a comparison between the MNR-11 and the DVNR.  The
MNR-11 worked as a noise reducer, but the boards necessary for the "dirt
removal" were not in the demo unit, and after two months of trying, we still
haven't gotten them.  (In case BTS is listening, we appreciate the fact that
you want to take care of the customers who paid for these things before you
upgrade demo units, but isn't this getting a little ridiculous?)

On the other hand, the DVNR was fully loaded and worked as advertised.  We
found, as a matter of practice, that it couldn't do much for black dirt and
stripes on film, but it made a big difference with white specks.  Apparently
dirt that is very close to black is much harder to detect and control, as I
have heard the same thing about the MNR-11 when it works.  It is possible to
overdo the dirt concealment, which gives the picture a jumpy digital
appearance that almost looks like bad video compression.  I'm willing to bet
this  'effect' will be showing up on the music video channel any minute now.

While I don't think any of the current crop of digital dirt removers can make
old, dirty film look as good as new, we tried the DVNR out on an old
television series release print which was dirty and worn to the point of
being unwatchable.  The DVNR took out about 95% of the offending white dirt,
turning the picture into something quite acceptable all things considered.
 So digital dirt removers are not something we'd use every day, but they do
come in handy.

Christopher Bacon
DuArt Film & Video