Keycode formats for data

Earlier last month I asked around about conversion programs for Keycode
data disks (Keycode, Timecode lists from OSC/R, Evertz, Flex, have I
missed any others?).

I understand that each manufacturer believes that their product is
best, it's a natural reaction, I guess....   Or maybe it is an offshoot
of the "Secrets of the Trade", a-la some MKII-MKIII Rank mods of a few
years ago....

In conversations with people over the past weeks it appears that each
product is basically ignoring the rest of the products, and all this
does is add further confusion when it comes to recognising other
system's data and dealing with it for our Clients.

I thought that KEYCODE was supposed to be a reference to origional film
frames and interface to TIME CODE.   Databases were supposed to
simplify this.   It should be a standard, like time code.

Can you imagine the confusion if each of our houses put unique TIME
CODE on client tapes that only a few other houses could read?   Am I
out of line, or is STANDARDIZATION OF DATA TRANSFER strangely lacking
in KEYCODE database products?

If any Keycode database manufacturer's read this, please educate me if
I am in error, for thats what it looks like from where I'm sitting,
and it doesn't make any sense to me.

Jan Janowski  Optimus