Re: KeyKode data in VITC

Interesting you should mention this...

It is true that negative cut lists generated from video time code are
challenging to work with due to the 3:2 pulldown, but if the situation was
completely unmanageable, there would be no point to OSC/R, Excalibur, Avid's
Film Composer, or a whole bunch of custom programs that convert time code to
cut lists.   On the other hand, I haven't heard of a negative cutter doing
his or her work by Keykode alone.   Negative cutters--at least the ones I
know,  all of whom are very good--are a particular bunch who put as much care
and concern into cutting a piece of film as top surgeons do with their
patients.  They all have too many horror stories of Keykode inaccuracies to
take it seriously.  If they use the Keykode at all, it is as an identifyer to
make sure they're in the correct "ballpark."  Other steps are normally taken
to make sure they've got the right frame before slicing up the negative.
 Keykode in VITC can serve a useful purpose, but it's not the one some
manufacturers had in mind.

One of the more recent requests in the Dalies business has been to make two
versions of the same transfer, one with burn-ins and one clean.  At first it
was neat to be able to record 4-line VITC on the clean tape, then use the
Afterburner to make the burn-in dub later on.  Of course, once such jobs
became popular, it got to be a drag to make all those dubs, so we updated our
room wiring to take both "clean" (VITC-only) and "burn-in with VITC" outputs
from the Evertz, allowing both tapes to be recorded simultaneously.  Aaton
provides two video outputs for the same purpose on the Keylink, so we simply
did likewise with it.  So the extra VITC lines have become redundant for this
application.

Christopher Bacon
DuArt Film & Video