Keylink, Keycode, Aatoncode

dear Bill,

Thank you for saying the Keylink is immensely improved over the 1987
"blue box", it is true that in these pre-Keycode years we had to learn
the hard way how to handle film codes on a telecine.  Remember, we were
alone and lonely at that time.
Furthermore the 29.99fps  3/2 pulldown NTSC was quite an unfamiliar beast
to our 25 / 25 PAL happy european engineers...

You are right saying that 7 sec of rusty plastic is not a  big deal, but
do you know that some facilities  here in Europe are also using audio
disks the way cheyl at enterprz.crawford.com does ?

For those who don't want to spend Nagra to disk copy time, there is
another way to totally eliminate the audio tape preroll syndrom : that's
the Keylink "catch/uncatch" mode which lets the slowest Nagra get the
code and be in-sync on the very first frame of the take.
On top of that, "catch" insures you to get the valid Keycode of the take
which eliminates the risk to insert and database-memorize a Keycode
belonging to the preceding take (in case  you are transfering short takes
on an edited negative).

To those complaining about the non-editability of  Keylink databases, I
will finish my preach saying that Keylink Version 5.21 brings a Border
Mover that John Waynes would be jealous of.

Merry Xmas,
Jean-Pierre Beauviala/Aaton