--------------------------------------
Date: 7/12/95 12:53 pm
To: Paul Grace
From: KEN ROBINSON
RE:=09Trouble with.......

>       The most common causes for color drift that I've seen on Ursas an=
MkIIIs (haven't >worked on Golds) have been temperature and line voltage
variations. You might want to >consider borrowing a chart recorder to che=
ck
temp/humidity (usually a dual unit) and/or line >voltage. Alternatively, =
you
might have a drifty internal power supply.
>       BTW, have you been able to monitor the Gold to isolate what's dri=
fting?
Does it show up >on test signal or just a film image? Does one color vary=
 or
all?
>                                       Rich Torpey
=20
Okay, so here are my thoughts....  As the machine is in Mexico, the follo=
wing
applies....  We have to turn the machine off every night as we are subjec=
t to
power disruptions, we do have a UPS, but only good for a few minutes, do =
I trust
security to turn things of in the right order?

Anyway, is the Gold any different from the MK3 or URSA at the head end? N=
ot to
my knowledge, so I suppose it could be a faulty PEC, therefore I would pr=
obably
get a drift just on one colour.  THis I have not assertained yet.  Temper=
ature
and Humidity are fairly constant.  From what I can glean re the other dri=
fting
Gold, is is something to do with a couple of Diodes placed in the head en=
d so
that the A-D's do not overload.  As I understand things, as the diodes co=
me on
line, by say varying temperature the signal changes and this also affects=

shading as the bit mapping that takes place is mathematicaly interpelated=
 for
the mid range that it measures to the high end correction.  Unfortunately=
, the
diodes change the linearity of the signal, thus the shading correction as=
 well.

I have to do quite a few tests to assertain exactly what is happening, bu=
thanks everyone for your thoughts, I will look specifically for your sugg=
estions
and report back.=20

Ken Robinson
P.S. If anyone at Rank wants to jump in and comment, please do at any sta=
ge.

-----=20
Visit the telecine homepage at http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html.
TELECINE CLASSIFIED section of the webpage is your area for opportunity.